Suggested replies, an AI-driven feature in Microsoft Outlook, offer quick, pre-written responses to emails based on the content of the message. The intention behind this feature is to help users save time and effort when composing emails, allowing for a more efficient email management experience.
While this feature can be quite useful for some, there are valid reasons for wanting to disable it. In this blog post, we will show how to turn off suggested replies in Outlook program, Office 365 online version, and mobile version, across Windows, macOS, and web-based platforms. We will also explore additional Outlook features and settings that may interest you.
Why Turn Off Suggested Replies?
There are several reasons someone might want to disable suggested replies in Outlook:
- Privacy concerns: Some users may be uncomfortable with AI scanning their email content to generate suggested replies.
- Accidental usage: It’s easy to click a suggested reply unintentionally, potentially sending a response that doesn’t align with the user’s intentions.
- Personal preference: Users may prefer composing their responses manually for a more personalized touch.
Whatever the reason, turning off suggested replies is a straightforward process, and we’ll guide you through it step by step.
Read Also: How to turn off Meetings Insights in Outlook
How to Turn Off Suggested Replies in Outlook Desktop (Windows & macOS)
Follow these steps to disable suggested replies in the Outlook desktop program:
- Open Outlook and click on “File” in the top-left corner.
- Select “Options” in the left panel (Windows) or “Preferences” (macOS).
- In the “Mail” tab, locate the “Replies and forwards” section.
- Uncheck the box next to “Show suggested replies.”
- Click “OK” to save the changes.
Office 365 Online Version (Web-Based Platform)
To disable suggested replies in the Office 365 online version, follow these steps:
- Log in to your Office 365 account and open Outlook.
- Click on the gear icon (Settings) in the top-right corner.
- Scroll down and click on “View all Outlook settings” at the bottom of the panel.
- Select “Mail,” then “Compose and reply.”
- Under “Suggested replies,” toggle off the switch next to “Show suggested replies.”
- Click “Save” to apply the changes.
Outlook Mobile App (iOS and Android)
To turn off suggested replies in the Outlook mobile app, follow these steps:
- Open the Outlook app on your mobile device.
- Tap on the menu icon (three horizontal lines) in the top-left corner.
- Scroll down and tap on the gear icon (Settings) near the bottom of the menu.
- Under “Mail,” locate “Suggested replies.”
- Toggle off the switch next to “Suggested replies.”
- The changes will be saved automatically.
Potential Drawbacks and Issues
Disabling suggested replies may lead to a few minor issues:
- It may take longer to compose and reply to emails without the help of AI-generated suggestions.
- Users may need to re-enable suggested replies if they find them helpful in the future.
Tips on Managing Other Outlook Settings
In addition to suggested replies, Outlook offers several other settings to help you manage your email composition and response. Some options to explore include:
- Email signatures
- Automatic replies
- Message formatting.
You can find these settings in the “Mail” tab of the desktop program’s “Options” (Windows) or “Preferences” (macOS), and in the “Compose and Reply” section of the Office 365 online version.
Additional Outlook Features and Settings
Outlook offers a plethora of features and settings to enhance your email management experience. Some of these include:
- Focused Inbox: This feature helps prioritize important emails by separating them from less important ones.
- Message Rules: Create custom rules to automatically sort, move, or delete emails based on specific criteria.
- Calendar Integration: Seamlessly schedule meetings, events, and appointments with Outlook’s integrated calendar.
- Task Management: Create, organize, and track tasks to stay on top of your to-do list.
Disabling suggested replies in Outlook is a simple process that can be easily done on desktop, online and mobile versions. As you’ve learned, there are valid reasons for wanting to turn off this feature, such as privacy concerns or personal preference.
By following the step-by-step instructions provided, you can take control of your email experience and explore other Outlook settings to optimize your workflow.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I disable suggested replies for specific email accounts in Outlook?
No, currently, Outlook doesn’t offer the option to disable suggested replies for specific email accounts. Turning off the feature will disable it for all accounts within the application.
If I disable suggested replies, will it affect other AI-driven features in Outlook?
No, disabling suggested replies will only affect the suggested reply feature. Other AI-driven features, such as Focused Inbox or automatic filtering, will remain unaffected.
Can I re-enable suggested replies in the future?
Yes, you can re-enable suggested replies at any time by following the steps outlined in this guide and toggling the feature back on.